Last Sunday we sang a hymn that I have heard before, but the words rang deeper and more personal this time. It has always been encouraging to hear what inspired a songwriter to pen such a song. Or which scripture God whispered into their hearts so that they could put it to music. One of my favorite albums is Glory Revealed, which is composed by various artists, because that’s all it is, scripture put to music. There have been numerous occasions when I’ve been reading a passage and then all of a sudden I would be singing it in my head because it’s from that album. Casting Crowns has always done a great job of listing the scriptures that inspired their songs as well. So this past week I spent time taking that hymn line by line then searching God’s Word to find where those truths were found.
If you haven’t already figured out the hymn, just take a look at this post’s title (so original I know 🙂 ), it’s Lamb of God by Twila Paris. I’ll forewarn you that this post will be quite lengthy with lots of scripture references because I’m taking it pretty much right out of my devotional notebook. (And like I said I worked on it all last week.) But I do encourage you to slowly read it (maybe even in more than one sitting) and allow God to reveal His truths to you too. It’s a precious song that is full of worship to the Lamb of God.
My suggestion is to first listen to the song, then read the scriptures below, and finally listen to or sing the song again with those truths fresh on your heart and mind. It’s completely refreshing and humbling.
Lamb of God
Your only Son, no sin to hide, but you have sent Him from your side
to walk upon this guilty sod, and to become the Lamb of God.
Your gift of love they crucified, they laughed and scorned Him as He died;
the humble King they named a fraud, and sacrificed the Lamb of God.
O Lamb of God, sweet Lamb of God; I love the holy Lamb of God.
O wash me in His precious blood, my Jesus Christ the Lamb of God
I was so lost I should have died, but you have brought me to Your side
to be led by your staff and rod, and to be called a lamb of God.
O Lamb of God, sweet Lamb of God; I love the holy Lamb of God.
O wash me in His precious blood, till I am just a lamb of God.
“Your only son,”
- John 3:16 “For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son that whoever believes in Him shall not perish but have eternal life.”
- 1 John 4:9 “By this the love of God was manifested in us that God has sent His only begotten Son into the world so that we might live through Him.”
“no sin to hide,”
- Hebrews 4:15 “ For we do not have a high priest who cannot sympathize with our weaknesses, but One who has been tempted in all things as we are, yet without sin.”
- 2 Corinthians 5:21 “He made Him who knew no sin to be sin on our behalf so that we might become the righteousness of God in Him.”
- 1 Peter 2:22 “Who committed no sin nor was any deceit found in His mouth.” (Isaiah 53:9)
- 1 John 3:5 “You know that He appeared in order to take away sins and in Him there is no sin.”
“but You have sent Him from Your side to walk upon this guilty sod,”
- John 7:29 “I know Him because I am from Him and He sent Me.”
- John 8:42 “Jesus said to them ‘If God were your Father, you would love me for I proceeded forth and have come from God, for I have not even come on my own initiative, but He sent Me.”
- Isaiah 1:4 “Alas, sinful nation, people weighed down with iniquity, offspring of evil doers, Sons who act corruptly! They have abandoned the Lord. They have despised the Holy One of Israel, they have turned away from Him.”
“and to become the Lamb of God.”
- John 1:29 “The next day he saw Jesus coming to him and said ‘Behold the Lamb of God who takes away the sin of the world.”
“Your gift of love they crucified,”
- Luke 24:7 “…the Son of Man must be delivered into the hands of sinful men and be crucified and the third day rise again.”
- Acts 2:36 “Therefore let all the house of Israel know for certain that God has made Him both Lord and Christ-this Jesus whom you crucified.”
“they laughed and scorned Him as He died;”
- Matthew 27:44 “The robbers who had been crucified with Him were also insulting Him with the same words.”
- Mark 15:31 “In the same way the chief priests also, along with the scribes were mocking Him among themselves and saying ‘He saved others; He cannot save Himself.’”
- Luke 18:32 “For He will be handed over to the Gentiles and will be mocked and mistreated and spit upon.”
“the humble King they named a fraud,”
- Matthew 2:2 “Where is He who has been born King of the Jews? For we saw His star in the east and have come to worship Him.”
- Luke 23:3 “Pilate asked Him, saying ‘Are You the King of the Jews?’ And He answered him and said ‘It is as you say.’”
- John 19:19 “Pilate also wrote an inscription and put it on the cross. It was written, ‘Jesus the Nazarene, the King of the Jews.”
- Philippians 2:8 “Being formed in appearance as a man, He humbled Himself by becoming obedient to the point of death, even death on a cross.”
- Isaiah 53:7 “He was oppressed and He was afflicted, yet He did not open His mouth; like a lamb that is led to the slaughter, and like a sheep that is silent before its shearers, so He did not open His mouth.”
“and sacrificed the Lamb of God.”
- Luke 22 tells that the traditional Passover lamb and meal was prepared on the same day as Jesus, “The Lamb of God,” was betrayed, arrested and then sacrificed.
- 1 Corinthians 5:7 “For Christ our Passover also has been sacrificed.”
- Ephesians 5:2 “And walk in love just as Christ also loved you and gave Himself up for us, an offering and a sacrifice to God as a fragrant aroma.”
- Hebrews 9:6 “Otherwise, He would have needed to suffer often since the foundation of the world; but now once at the consummation of the ages He has been manifested to put away sin by the sacrifice of Himself.”
“I was so lost I should have died,”
- Romans 3:10-12 “There is none righteous, not even one…none who understands or seeks for God…none who does good, not even one.”
- Romans 3:23 “For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God.”
- Romans 6:23 “For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life.”
“but you have brought me to your side to be led by Your staff and rod,”
- Psalm 23:4 “Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I fear no evil, for You are with me; Your rod and staff they comfort me.”
- Acts 4:12 “And there is salvation in no one else; for there is no other name under Heaven that has been given among men by which we must be saved.”
- John 10:29 “My Father, who has given them to me is greater than all; and no one is able to snatch them out of the Father’s hand.”
- 1 Corinthians 1:9 “God is faithful, through whom you were called into fellowship with His Son, Jesus Christ our Lord.”
“and to be called a lamb of God.”
- 1 John 3:1 “See how great a love the Father has bestowed on us that we would be called children of God.”
- John 1:12 “But as many as received Him, to them He gave the right to become children of God, even to those who believe in His name.”
- 1 John 5:1 “Whoever believes that Jesus is the Christ is born of God and whoever loves the Father loves the child of born of Him.”
- Romans 8:17 “And if children heirs also, heirs of God and fellow heirs with Christ, if indeed we suffer with Him so that we may also be glorified with Him.”
“O Lamb of God, sweet Lamb of God; I love the holy Lamb of God.”
- Isaiah 6:3 “And one called out to another and said “Holy, holy, holy is the Lord of Hosts, the whole earth is full of His glory.”
“O wash me in His precious blood, my Jesus Christ the Lamb of God. O wash me in His precious blood, till I am just a Lamb of God.”
- 1 John 1:7 “But if we walk in the light as He himself is in the light, we have fellowship with one another and the blood of Jesus His Son cleanses us from all sin”
- Revelation 7:14 “…they have washed their robes and made them white in the blood of the Lamb.”
***1 Peter 1:18-19 “Knowing that you were not redeemed with perishable things like silver or gold from your futile way of life inherited from your forefathers, but with precious blood as of a lamb unblemished and spotless, the blood of Christ!”
What amazing power and excitement in this last passage! Now, I charge you, go and worship the LAMB OF GOD, He who has washed away YOUR sin with his very own precious blood!