What has my taste buds watering for more these days? Homemade granola. It seems like I could eat some everyday. After a few batches, I think I’ve tweaked the recipe to just the right amount of sweet, crunchy clusters. My mother-in-law found the first recipe, then I found another one, combined a little of this one and a little of that one and Wah-lah! Yummy homemade granola. I love it in a parfait with vanilla yogurt, strawberries and blueberries. I also often eat it as cereal. Here’s the recipe in case you want to give it a try.
- 3 cups oats (I’ve used old fashioned or quick)
- 1 cup slivered almonds (I’ve also chopped up whole ones in the food processor and used those instead)
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 3/4 cup shredded coconut
- 1/4-1/3 cup brown sugar (dark or light)
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/3 cup honey
1. Preheat oven to 250 degrees.
2. In a large bowl combine oats, nuts, coconut, brown sugar and cinnamon.
3. In a separate bowl combine oil, syrup, vanilla, salt, and honey.
4. Combine both mixtures. Spread onto two cookie sheets.
5. Bake for 1 hour 15 min. Stir every 15-20 minutes.
6. After removing from oven, press granola with spatula to help make clusters. Once cooled break apart and store in an airtight container.
And of course make it to your own liking. Substitute any of the nuts, just keep the amount the same. You can also add a cup of raisins or craisins after removing it from the oven.